Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Free at last!



FINALLY the day has come for Sophie to get rid of her stinky, smelly cast (did I mention it had an odor?) We headed for the doctor and I thought for sure I was in for a treat...with the way she acted when they put the cast on I wasn't really sure they would let us come back to get it taken off...I think the doctor and nurse were still recovering from the wrath of Sophie. Basically I wasn't looking forward to it! I thought for sure Sophie would freak out once they started cutting but she surprised me and sat very still the whole time (she didn't even flinch...and there was no hitting or kicking!) Once the cast came off I handed it back to her and she promptly threw it on the ground...she is definitely done with it! After the nurse was done removing the cast the doctor came in to check Sophie out. He started moving her arm around and said "Well, she doesn't quite have all of her range of motion back..." then I had to remind him that the cast was on her other arm (not sure if Sophie has some issue with her elbow...maybe I should be worried...maybe it's just her "chubby little hand" -- that is the phrase the doctor used when Sophie got her cast..."chubby little hands"...I just think they are cute!) So then the conversation went like this:


Doctor: So, she's had the cast on for 6 weeks


Me (a little panicked): 6 weeks?!?! You said 3 weeks...It's only been 3 weeks...do we need to put it back on?


Doctor (checking the chart): Yes, 3 weeks. No, that's right. It's fine. It was only for 3 weeks.


My confidence was a little shaky at this point, but the rest of the exam went fine and he said she should be as good as new. I asked him if this meant she wouldn't break her arm anymore and he told me he couldn't guarantee it but that her arm was as strong as it was before the break...let's just hope it holds up and we don't have any more broken arms (finger crossed!)



No comments: